Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Beautiful

photo from Margaret Cho's website

Last Friday, I finally got to see my favourite comedian perform live. Margaret Cho is... controversial to say the least, but she never insults me so I looooooove her! She is a Korean-American queer feminist comedian. What more could I ask for?

I've been a fan of Madame Cho for years now and I've noticed a change in her style and also in her persona. She used to be mad. She used to be fucking angry... and she still is, but it's such a more constructive anger these days. And of course, I (and she) credit belly dance for this positive transformation. I'll go into more detail about all the wonderful aspects of belly dance in a future post but without question, belly dance - if you really get into it and respect the history and true context of it - can heal you. Any body woes are dissipated because when your muscles are working in sync and you're undulating your stomach and shaking your hips, you are beautiful. Radiant. Gorgeous. There's no getting around it.

So yes, Margaret Cho has calmed a little but she's still raunchy as hell - just the way I like her. She plays with stereotypes, she lampoons political figures and she waxes poetic about sex in all its forms, positions, and orientations. She is, undoubtedly, a woman after my own heart.

No comments: